Acapulco, Guerrero, February 27, 2018.- The first seed of the tournament and number two in the world suffered from a hip injury and it forced him to retire from the quarterfinals in Australian Open.
Nadal arrived to Acapulco with total willingness to play a good role, however, in a training session yesterday, he felt a pinch in the area of the injury and the recommendation of his medical team was not to play, to avoid further complications.
Rafa explained that he still does not know the severity of the injury, “I believe that all the necessary cares had been taken, I arrived to Cozumel to work on my adaptation, but yesterday in the last training before starting the tournament, I noticed a puncture in the same area of the problem I had in Australia, today in the morning I went to the resonance, I do not know what it is yet, but it is in a similar line to what happened in Australia, maybe it is a minor situation but the reality is that it is not clear yet and until it goes down a bit and the tests are done, it will not have the exact diagnose. The doctors told me that I cannot play because there is a risk of increasing the injury”.
The Mallorcan lamented the situation, “I’m sorry for me, I’m the most affected, then I feel sorry for the tournament and the fans, I appreciate your love, I know that it’s a difficult news but I had to communicate it this morning, and even though I’m not there, I know this is going to be a success”, Nadal said.
Raul Zurutuza, tournament director , regretted the event, but said that first of all is the player’s health. “I want to highlight his professionalism and enthusiasm every time he has come, he has participated enthusiastically with all the events and unfortunately he suffered an injury prior to the tournament”, he said.